Self Directed Project: Painting For Inspiration

Monday 2 April 2012

Setting: Inital research: 1

The setting of the painting is, in my view, is as important as the characters themselves. Therefore I have been looking around National trust homes and museums to find rooms that could fit the criteria for my photograph in both composition and period.
The first place I have visited is Wimpole Hall estate, Cambridgeshire. The estate was begun in the early 1600's and repeatedly revitalised until 1938 when it was bequeathed to the National Trust. I have decided to set my photograph during the mid Victorian era and therefore the mansion itself, with Georgian facade, would be quite appropriate:

Georgian Facade: Wimpole Hall, Cambridgeshire

My room of choice as a possible setting is The Red Room. A beautifully homely bedroom on the 1st floor; it has all the personal feel of that in the Arnolfini Portrait. While it is not intrinsically 'Victorian', a couple of that period would not look out of place in this setting, more like the setting is from the recent past of a wealthy family.:

The Red Room
The Red Room
 Most important for me is the placement of the window and the bed in the image and this room is perfect for that, the fact that the bed is red as well is a real bonus. I am seriously considering this as a potential setting for my photograph, even though it may be hard to organise. However, I will continue my research closer to Bournemouth to find another just as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment