Self Directed Project: Painting For Inspiration

Saturday 17 March 2012

National Gallery & National Portrait Gallery, 15th March 2012

On Thursday I took a trip to the National Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery to choose images one of which will become the inspiration for my final styling piece! Knowing this changed the way I went round the gallery from my past visits as I found myself looking at the setting, number of people and whether I could moderise it in a good way. I found that this meant I was looking at an almost entirely different set of paintings that usual.

I was drawn to the following paintings:
National Portrait Gallery

  • The Somerset House Conference, Unidentified Flemish artist (1604)
  • King Charles I & Sir Edward Walker,  Unknown artist (1650)
  • The Three Witches from Macbeth, D. Gardner (1775)
  • Charles Robert Darwin, J. Collier (1881)
  • The Secret of England's Greatness (Queen Victoria Presenting a Bible in the Audience Chamber at Windsor), Thomas Jones Barker (1863)
  • Joseph Southall & Anna Elizabeth, J. Southall (1911)
  • Lady Ottoline Morrell, A. John (1919)
  • Dame Anna Neagale, Barclay (1940)

National Gallery

  • The Ambassadors, Holbein (1533)
  • Mary Magdelene, Savoldo (1535-40)
  • Penelope with the Suitors, Pintoicchio (1509)
  • Charlemagne and the meeting at the Golden Gate, Master of Moulins (1500)
  • St Michael Triumphs over the Devil, Bermejo (1468)
  • The Baptism of Christ, Piero Della Francesco (1450's)
  • A Scene from El Hechizado por Frerza, Goya (1798)
  • The Magdalene Reading, Rogier Van Der Weyden (1468)
  • The Arnolfini Portrait, Jan Van Eyck (1434)
  • The Bathers, Seurat (1884)
  • Samson & Delilah, Rubens (1609-10)
  • The Beach at Trouville, Monet (1870)
  • The Toilet of Venus, Velazquez (1647-51)

No comments:

Post a Comment