Self Directed Project: Painting For Inspiration

Saturday 17 March 2012

Last Years Films

During our last session we watched the DVD containing the short films produced by the students from last year who participated on this project. I found this extremely beneficial as it allowed me to get a better feel of the length of the film as well as the part I will play in the process. My favourite film overall was 'The Chair', based on 'Van Gogh's Chair',


Vincent van Gogh, Van Gogh's Chair (1888)

I particularly liked this film as there was evidence of breaking down and sourcing for the costume from outside the university costume store showing that the designer had been creative when styling. I also liked the use of special effects within the film, while this is not really to do with me, I liked how well it integrates in the final outcome. I also liked the influence of Monty Python on this film and the comical elements allow for more playful interpretations of the costumes and settings.


The second film that stood out for me for as technically interesting from a filming point of view as well for the costume was 'Ophelia'. The painting that inspired this piece is one of my favourite paintings so I was intrigued to see how the Director had chosen to convey the themes of her story from Hamlet, through film.
Sir John Everett Millais, Ophelia (1851-2)

The costume that was sourced was not entirely identical as it had a front fastening bodice, which was not an element of the clothing worn in the original painting, however it was the similar colouring and still worked very well in the piece. I was stunned to find that the piece was a studio shoot in a large tank of water. It was impossible to tell from the film itself that is was not a location shoot in a stream. I also liked that It was a single shot film, I have previously seen a film directed by Alexander Sokurov called 'Russian Ark' that uses this technique too, only on a far larger scale in a 96 minute, single shot film. watching the special features on this really made me aware of how important it must have been also for the 'Ophelia' crew to have every element of the shoot pre-planned to it's finest detail. The costume supervisor for instance had little continuity to do at all, but inevitably,should more than one take be needed the costume and hair of the actress must be fully dried and reset for the next take. this in itself is a huge job and very time consuming.


From watching the films produced last year elements I must consider are:
The importance of breaking down within a scene.
  • Weather/ elements that change how look of a scene while filming is happening.
  • Colouring for atmosphere.
  • hair and make-up (if there isn't a team for this) as this can, asthetically, make or break a production.
  • How well the costumes have been chosen for the period in which they are set.

No comments:

Post a Comment