Self Directed Project: Painting For Inspiration

Saturday 17 March 2012

Initial Research: The Kiss.

Once I began to research previous works  that had been inspired by works of art i found that it is a challenging concept. However, when done right can be really beautiful and effective. The first piece that was given to us as an initial example was a reworking of Gustav Klimt's 'The Kiss'. Already a painting that I admire I was interested to see how it could work as a live photograph.

Gustav Klimt, The Kiss (1908)

Moises González, La esencia de Klimt Magazine, 2007
I feel that this version of 'The Kiss' work extremely well and while the specific details are not exact, the colouring is what makes the image assimilate with the original, (what I found interesting also was that the Photo was hand painted in post production lending itself to a paintily effect that is less achievable with photography alone.) This is knowledge that I will take with me as I progress with the PFI project. This image was produced for a fashion photoshoot to be in 'Ae magazine' a Spainish publication.

As I continued my research further I found another adaptation of 'The Kiss' by Bill Sienkiewicz, an award-winning American artist and writer best known for his comic book work. I was drawn to his use of  unorthodox materials for the comic books he creates, using oil paints and collage.

Bill Sienkiewicz, Elektra the Hand, 2004
This image uses colours opposite to the the ones Klimt chose for the original and set it in a different cultural surrounding, yet it is still so clearly derived from 'The Kiss' due to the shape the bodies are creating and also the passion that they are portraying.


Studying these examples of works inspired by painting has made me very excited to begin the styling portion of this project as I feel that I can incorporate my love of Art History with preparing myself for the filming in the second part of the SDP.



No comments:

Post a Comment