Self Directed Project: Painting For Inspiration

Monday 26 March 2012

Final Decision!

After narrowing down my favourite three paintings from the two galleries for this project I have finally come to a decision as to the painting I will style for the photograph at the end of this unit of my SDP.


I have chosen 'The Arnolfini Portrait', Jan van Eyck (1434) There are a few key reasons that I picked this image, most importantly to me is that it has always been one of my very favourite paintings, even from a young age and to be able to put my passion for it into something constructive on the course is a real pleasure which I am very excited about. It also allows me to use the research techniques I learnt doing an Art History A level to further the depth of my knowledge of the painting, which in turn, will create a greater depth to my final image. It is also a beautifully compositioned painting which I am very excited to set up. I feel that a location shoot may be beneficial for this image as it is so clearly set in a bedroom and is greatly influenced by the natural light from the window, which I don't feel could be a achieved in a studio. With regards to this I have been considering a few locations, and will get in contact with them immediately, such as the Russell Cotes Museum, Bournemouth. And I have also been looking into the National Trust owned Kingston Lacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment